Milky Way Centre -
M80 Globular Cluster
Stars vary in colour, according to their temperature.
- Red Dwarfs burn dimly and Red Giants brilliantly.
- Sun-like stars emit yellow light.
- Larger stars radiate with white, blue and even ultraviolet light.
Different detectors vary in their sensitivity to colour.
- Un-aided, the eye is just sensitive enough to detect colour in the brightest stars.
- Colour film can record star colours with long exposures.
- Electronic imaging systems are more sensitive still.